Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Got some bright ideas?

Hey folks, sorry I've been lollygagging on the posts here at Harvest of Hope. I overdid it with running plus my own family gardening during the weekend and I'm still catching up!

I've been planning for a few weeks to share with you a community garden my sister and brother-in-law told me about in D.C. I think this is it: Common Good City Farm. They (sis and bro-in-law) took a training session to become volunteers there. I haven't spent a lot of time clicking around the website, but when I saw them a couple of weeks ago my brother-in-law said that this group has the garden and what it provides, but also has a catering company staffed by people who use the garden. Wouldn't that be cool if we could do it in Kingsport?

That makes me think of a program that used to exist near my hometown -- kids in the special education program made cinnamon rolls that they sold every Sunday to raise money to support their extracurricular activities.

I know Kingsport has a lot of great stuff going on -- more than I know about since I've so often got my head in the parenting sand. But new ideas are fun to toss around, eh?


How about this place: Pie Lab? I forget where I read about it, but go check it out. Wouldn't something like this be lovely in Kingsport?

Send me your ideas -- neat things you've read about -- stuff we can mull over. I'm always looking for things to share here. If I get enough people responding, I might offer a prize next time. Bring it on!

Your picture, by the way -- this is Mr. Phil, who spoke to our garden group one rainy Monday night a month or two ago -- he was at The Exchange Place garden last weekend during the Fall Festival there. Here he's helping my two favorite boys dig up some baby carrots to take home.

Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment