Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A dinner, and a few books

Last night we had a new recipe, and it was so good and easy I thought I'd share:

Italian Garden Frittata
from Taste of Home Healthy Cooking 2009 annual recipes (Thanks, Sarah.)

6 egg whites
4 eggs
1/2 cup grated Romano cheese, divided (I used Parmesan-Reggiano and Asiago)
1 Tbsp minced fresh sage (I used dried, a few shakes)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 small zucchini, sliced
(I added 1 small yellow squash, sliced)
2 green onions, sliced (I used one small yellow onion, sliced)
1 tsp olive oil
2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced

1. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, eggs, 1/4 cup cheese, sage, salt and pepper; set aside.

2. In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet coated with cooking spray (I used cast iron skillet and a drizzle of olive oil), saute zucchini and onions (and squash?) in oil for 2 minutes. Add egg mixture; cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until eggs are nearly set.

3. Uncover; top with tomato slices and remaining cheese. Broil 3-4 inches from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges.

We also had waffles and fruit -- gotta love the breakfast for dinner. But the frittata was the best part, I think.



Part II:
Some books -- I have heard or read of these lately and am intrigued -- maybe you will be, too. I haven't yet checked the Kingsport library, but maybe one or all of these is floating around in our system, available for checkout. If not, I'd be willing to ask for them, or to purchase and donate.


Forks over Knives. This is also a documentary, for you Netflix patrons. This book is by the same Dr. Colin Campbell who wrote The China Study. In both books he advocates a whole-foods, plant-based diet. I haven't read it yet, but I'm intrigued/would like to know more. 


The Okinawa Program -- this is a whole book about the longevity study done on the island of Okinawa (between Japan and Taiwan), where residents typically live active lives well into their 90s and 100s. Their rates of obesity, heart disease, osteoporosis, memory loss and breast and colon and prostate cancer rank far below the rates for these illnesses in America and other industrialized countries. 

The book is said to reveal the "secrets," which are really things a lot of us know at least something about -- mostly plant-based, low-fat diet; exercise; stress management; strong social and family ties and spiritual connectedness. 

Finally, one I bought: Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. My family practice physician recommended this one, and I got it -- haven't read more than the first page yet -- must find a night when I can keep my eyes open by means other than toothpicks! But I'll share some of what I find. 




No comments:

Post a Comment