Thursday, September 1, 2011

A garden getting ready for fall

Today I give you some pictures from yesterday morning. I stopped by to put up a poster promoting Prayer in the Garden -- see? -- and then snapped a few pics. I'm having a hard time with it being September already. Anyone else? I love the approach of crisp mornings, if only I had the time to sit down and enjoy them. We always appreciate things more when they're harder to get to, don't we?

I hope to call and set up interviews with at least two more gardeners this week, so be watching for those in days to come. It may take a few days, or it may take many, but I'll keep trying! One of the problems is that my own home garden is overwhelming me with abundance. Yesterday I canned salsa. Recipe below.

A fall bed:
The lushness of the garden:
Good morning, tomato!
And our finished storage bins -- thanks again to Larry and Paul!


Chunky Salsa from Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine

5 lbs tomatoes
4 large green peppers, chopped
3 large onions, chopped
2 large sweet red peppers, chopped
2 habanero peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 cup white vinegar
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
3 tsp salt

 1. Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds with water; bring to a boil. Score an "X" on the bottom of each tomato. Using a slotted spoon, place your tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove tomatoes and immediately plunge in ice water. Discard peel; chop tomatoes.

 2. In a stockpot, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness. See note below for tip from my friend Sam.

 3. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars (I used quarts b/c had no pints -- oops), leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes (I did more like 30 b/c of the bigger jars) in a boiling-water canner.

  Note from Sam: In calling her (again) to ask if it was ok to add cilantro to the salsa, which I did -- but Sam says per her references that cilantro addition does better just prior to serving -- the taste is better captured there and may disappear somewhat during cooking/canning -- Sam told me that she tried a new trick to get thicker salsa. I didn't do this yesterday but the next batch will get this treatment. Yesterday I just ladeled out some of the excess liquid. Anyway: Sam's trick -- put your cooked salsa in a Crockpot overnight with the lid off, heat on low. The salsa will cook down and be thicker and I am sure, tasty-and-a-half. Thanks, Sam!

 Happy day, everyone. Tomorrow (or otherwise soon), watch for pictures from last week's visit to the garden by AARP Foundation President Jo Ann Jenkins!

No comments:

Post a Comment