Friday, April 13, 2012

Lots o' bits!

I am off today on an epic adventure, so I won't be posting much, if at all, for the next week.

I'll leave you with a few reminders:
This Saturday -- tomorrow! -- April 14, we'll be doing a second planting day for folks who missed the first one. If you missed us in March, join us! If you have planted already, it's still a great opportunity to meet and work with your fellow gardeners. 10 a.m. to noon. Master Gardener Nancy will be on the scene if you have questions, and if you need plants and/or seeds, she'll get them for you. (Thank you, Nancy!)

Next Sunday, April 22 at 4 p.m., please join us for Earth Day in the Garden. Sue Cadwallader will speak to us about companion gardening (pairing plants for insect resistence, higher yield, space savings, etc.). If I'm not back in time, someone please grab an extra copy of any info she hands out! I don't want to miss it!

April 28 and 29 (Saturday and Sunday) is the Spring Garden Fair at Exchange Place. Our friend, Master Gardener Phil Ramey is involved with the garden fair -- come out and have fun while supporting him! Saturday is 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday noon to 5 p.m. Lots of plants and seeds and farm/garden stuff going on. $1 admission for adults and $.50 children.

Finally, look for Harvest of Hope on Facebook -- search "Harvest of Hope Growing with Kingsport." If you haven't already, "like" us there. We still have about five beds left. Spread the word!

I'll end with a quote I heard from a wonderful speaker (Dr. Marcus Robinson) yesterday at the HEAL Appalachia Childhood Obesity Symposium:

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no 'brief candle' to me. It is sort of a splendid torch which I have a hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it over to future generations."

--George Bernard Shaw

Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment