Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Birds of spring

I have a new friend, Amanda, whose blog starts with the quote:
"Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark."

That's the first thing that came to mind this morning as I thought: what can I say about the garden given I don't have much time? Faith! Hope! And great people!

We had a good meeting last night -- I'm invigorated by the group that gathered, and I'm excited about the planting, and I feel the hope thrumbing through. Even amid my stress over small stuff (which is my nature), I am catching the natural high that is the thought of planting seeds and watching them grow into the miracle of a garden. I feel the circle of community we're creating within our greater community. I recognized our hope of feeding the hungry, and involving new people and learning how to grow good, healthy food. Of getting hands dirty and minds clean. It's a thrill! Thanks to God for his grace, and thanks to everyone with hope for this garden, and to those who are willing to put effort toward its success.

As of last night, about half of our raised beds are assigned. Two of the big ones are taken. We have gardeners returning from last year, and we have a lot of new folks, too.

We welcome everyone! Our early spring planting leaves the station this Saturday, March 24 at 10 a.m. (meet us at the garden -- bring water, sunscreen, gardening gloves and small tools; bring a friend!), but if you can't make that morning gathering, you can apply for a raised bed and plant it whenever!

We think our late-spring planting (and the filling of the rest of the beds) will be on Saturday, May 12. More details on that to come.

I stopped in before our meeting to take a couple pictures and to drop off some tools at the shed. Here are the bed markers that Clarence and Kathie created and put into each bed so we can assign beds to our new gardeners:


And I may have shown this before, but here are our healthy, overwintering herbs! Clarence is going to fill this herb bed up and it'll be for all to share, just as Jill intended when she planted it last season.


Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment