Monday, August 29, 2011

Back

I'm back and will be at the blog again this week. I attended the funeral of my grandmother on Thursday. She was a gardener, and many of my reflections on her involve her legacy as it influences the continual greening (I hope!) of my thumb.

With unexpected time off from the routine last week, I thought a little about how getting away from the work of our hands has been detrimental to society. We spent too little time outside, working, and too much time inside in front of a screen. How good for us the garden is. We need to be outside planting, working, interacting with our neighbors and with things that are green. Aerating our minds.

When my Gran had to stop working her big garden plot, she brought what she could of it inside -- her house was a garden -- sometimes a jungle -- of potted plants that she cared for well. Green is good for us.

I believe that a group from the state offices of AARP visited the garden Friday -- I hope they were amazed! And tomorrow is a meeting of the garden's steering group -- 12 to 1:30 at the United Way of Greater Kingsport. Please come if you're interested in helping us!

No comments:

Post a Comment