Thursday, July 14, 2011

Rural Resources

Today I'm in a race against the kid-wake-up clock, but I have a couple of things to share.

One: Yesterday I went to a meeting at which the presenter was Sally Causey, executive director of Rural Resources in Greene County. I wish I could show you her Powerpoint so you could see all the awesome things they have going. A mobile farmer's market. A farm-to-hospital program that gives the local hospital access to purchasing farm-fresh produce for the cafeteria, and for employees there to buy. A farm-to-school program. Way cool stuff. Here's the Rural Resources mission statement, at least per Facebook:

We are a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the community in the preservation and improvement of agricultural land, preserving our rural heritage, and developing a locally sustainable system of producing and marketing agricultural products.
Looks to me like they're in the process of building a new, robust website, and that maybe the best way to find out more about what they have going on day-to-day is to "like" them on Facebook. 

Two: Something else you might like: Appalachian Sustainable Development is putting on a "Farm to Fork" dinner at the Bristol Motor Speedway. Link to info here. You need to get a ticket to go -- but please do if you can! It looks like a super gig to me. 


Three: A cool quote I saw yesterday when peeking my head in at Second Harvest Food Bank of Northeast Tennessee: "We're put here not to see through each other but to see each other through."


Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment