Friday, August 17, 2012

What to do with tomatoes

Tis the season of tomato bounty, and I find myself looking at the half of my kitchen island that is covered with them, wondering what recipe I should try next (short of canning, which seems to me overwhelming at the moment, though I've dabbled and would like to do more one day).

My friend Amber reminded me about roasting, so yesterday I "roasted" a batch in my slow cooker -- drizzled with olive oil and with a tea towel over the top and the lid slightly ajar -- on low -- all day. Didn't try them yet, but I froze two pints that way. (See link for where I got this idea.)

I also did a batch in the oven like this recipe -- again didn't try yet, but they're much reduced and in the Fridge, and will freeze, too.

Amber sent this link, which gives a recipe and some ideas about how you might use tomatoes you've roasted. Get ready for your mouth to water!

Happy day.


No comments:

Post a Comment