Friday, June 24, 2011

Highly suggested reading

Today brings you Post No. 5 to the Harvest of Hope blog. Anyone reading? I hope so! Hi, reader or two! Tell your friends to check us out, please!

Last Sunday, Father's Day, our family traveled a bit afield to The Harvest Table in Meadowview, Va. I want you to focus on the book today, more than the restaurant. But if you like amazing and locally grown food, I suggest you get thee to The Harvest Table. It's the best restaurant I've been to around here. Fabulous. Worth a drive and the cost of your best babysitter. Seriously.

At any rate. My topic for today is what you need to read, not eat. But they're connected, the book and the restaurant.

When my family and I were eating at The Harvest Table for Father's Day brunch, I purchased a second copy of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (with Steven L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver). I have a copy from a few years ago, but I think it's been bequeathed to my sister or someone else afar, for it's not in my house. And just as well, for the more people who read this book and take it to heart, the better, in my opinion.

So. Last night or the night before, I began to read it again. I really do think everyone should read it. If you're reading this blog, it's likely you're concerned about where our food comes from, and that everyone is fed. Read it. Even just the first chapter, please!


The connection? Well Barbara Kingsolver and her husband, Steven Hopp, along with their two children, migrated to western Virginia from Arizona some years ago, to a farm not far from The Harvest Table. So they're our neighbors. And Steven L. Hopp is, from what I can tell, part of the reason The Harvest Table exists.

And all of this applies to our Harvest of Hope. Read and you'll understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment