Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Brown rice and black bean casserole

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth -- just taking a short breather since the gung-ho growing season is done and celebrated. I won't try to post every day here, but will try to when I come across something garden-news-worthy. I welcome suggestions, too! If you come across a recipe or a newsy bit that would play well here, please make me aware.

For today, I'll share a recipe my friend Kristi served. I made it for my family last night and almost everyone ate it right up. I chopped the zucchini and onion very small and no one was the wiser. It's delicious! Thanks to Kristi for sharing. Happy day.



Brown Rice and Black Bean Casserole

  • 1/3 cup brown rice
  • 1 cup chicken broth (preferably homemade – that’s what I used)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/3 cup diced onion
  • 1 large zucchini (or two medium), chopped into chunks
  • 2 cooked skinless boneless chicken breast halves, chopped (see note below)
  • 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (I used Baby Bellas)
  • ¼ - ½ teaspoon cumin
  • salt to taste
  • ground cayenne pepper to taste, (optional, see note below)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
  • 1/3 cup shredded carrots
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
*For the cooked chicken, I first cut up the chicken and marinate it in olive oil, 1 beaten egg, some garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt seasoning (I make my own, you can just use regular salt), and cornstarch.  Mix well and leave at least one hour.  Sometimes I do it the day before.  Then stir fry it and add to recipe.
*The original recipe called for ½ tsp cumin, but since I put some cumin on the chicken, I only put ¼ in the casserole.  Just do to your taste.
*I did not add cayenne pepper because I used salt seasoning instead of regular salt, and the seasoning has cayenne pepper in it already.  Again, just go with your personal preference of spiciness. 

Directions

  1. Mix the rice and chicken broth in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the zucchini, cooked chicken, and mushrooms. Season with cumin, salt, and ground cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until zucchini is lightly browned and chicken is heated through.
  4. In large bowl, mix the cooked rice, onion, zucchini, chicken, mushrooms, beans, carrots, and 1/2 the cheddar cheese. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
  5. Cover casserole loosely with foil, and bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Uncover, and continue baking 10 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment